Tuesday, February 25, 2014

FitBit Weekly Update

As I continue to use my FitBit Force daily, I'm very impressed with the tracking, and I love my weekly stats that I'm getting. Here, take a look!

Click to embiggen!

So, let's take a look at all of this....

Total steps isn't bad. I need to make a little bit more effort here... I want a 10,000 step day! that's the problem with a job where I sit all day, though. Total distance, that's cool to see too.

Total floors climbed... this is where the FitBit is *actually* helping me get in better shape. I've stopped taking the elevator while I wear it, and I wear it all the time. 

Now we get into Calories burned, Calories in and out, and weight change. This is a lot of voodoo, but let's see what we've got going on here.

First, calories eaten, I know is close to accurate, since I track everything in MFP, and while I probably miss a few calories here and there, it should be relatively close. In addition, weight change should be accurate as well, since I track that every day in MFP. So this says I've lost 5.2 lbs and have a calorie deficit of 8741+7000, or 15,741 calories. Doing some basic math, that calorie deficit should have caused me to lose 4.5 lbs.

Well then. I've lost a bit more than expected. I know I am not eating less calories than I post, so one of two things could be the culprit. It could be I'm underestimating my BMR, or I'm underestimating my calorie burn in most exercises. However, I'm not planning on changing anything at this time, because with water weight, swelling, and all the rest that goes into things, one week of data is not enough to make any decisions. It is however an interesting piece of data.

But wait! I then go into my spreadsheet and take a look at the 7 day period that FitBit is tracking...

Click me! Click me!
Ok, FitBit is tracking everything pretty properly. I've got myself as a 5.1 lb loss over the same time frame, I'll chalk that up to weird rounding.

Finally we have the sleep tracking information. I think this is extremely interesting, to see how much I sleep and how quickly I start sleeping, but I also know that this is more voodoo based on moving while sleeping. I'll keep tracking it, but I'm uncertain how accurate it really is.

After a couple weeks, I have to say I'm a huge fan of the device. the way it integrates almost completely seamlessly with my phone and MFP makes it a perfect fitness tracker for me. And the information it's tracking seems to be surprisingly accurate!




No comments:

Post a Comment