Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Medifast at work

One of the nicest things about Medifast by far, is how easy it is to plan your meals and get out the door. One of the pitfalls I had pre-Medifast was skipping breakfast, not bringing lunch or snacks, and ending up getting chips and candy bars out of the vendo-bot and eating fast food or Chinese or Indian buffets for lunch.

Needless to say, a diet of buffet food and vending machine trash is not good for your waist.

Medifast fixes all of that, as long as you stay on plan. I have a small lunch bag, and every morning I grab a shake or cereal, a bar, a macaroni, a bag of pretzels, and throw in a Laughing Cow and an ounce or two of leftover protein from the night before.

So I get to work, I've already had breakfast, my lunch and two snacks are planned out, and everything is pretty easy to deal with! And if I do this long enough, I don't see why I can't do the same thing once I'm through with transition. A bowl of cereal (with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, that won't change!) or a protein shake, a couple of reasonable snacks and a simple lunch should work out great. I'm tempted to start plotting out possible menus, but that's insane, as it would just torment me a little when I'm doing well not thinking about it.

Luckily for me, I'm able to deal with very similar meals over time. While I do change out what bar I eat, and occasionally my pretzels are different flavors, or I swap out a BBQ Bites or something, most of the time my diet is very similar. And I like it that way. If you needed more variety, you could do it, but I prefer to keep things simple and only 'cook' one Medifast meal at work.

Today's Menu? Here you go!

Breakfast:Dutch Chocolate Ready to Drink Shake (in the car at 7:45 a.m.)
Snack #1:Peanut Butter Crunch Bar (at 10:15 a.m.)
Gym:Can of tuna right before workout, then EFX for 46 minutes while I watched Breaking Bad (at 11:30 a.m.)
Lunch:Mac and Cheese, 25 calorie Aldi's Laughing Cow knock-off, 2 oz grilled chicken (at 12:30 p.m.)
Snack #2:BBQ bites (soon, probably at 3:30 p.m.)
Lean and Green:Not sure yet, other than I know I'm going to use the last of the fresh mushrooms. But it could be ground turkey, chicken breast, shrimp, flounder, or tilapia as the protein. (around 6:30 p.m.)
Dessert:Brownie baked in a ramekin with a PB2 filling. Or maybe a Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Smoothie if we pick up some more cream cheese. (around 8:30 p.m)

This is a pretty representative day for me at this point, and it is working out well. I'm actually getting used to the portion sizes now, and they no longer seem tiny! A Medifast Crunch Bar looks pathetically small the first time you have one, especially when you've been known to eat Met-RX Colossal 100 bars as snacks before! Now though, it's just normal. And... it's teaching me something very valuable, and that is that I can be very hungry, eat a bar and still be hungry, but 15 minutes later be fine. This is something I inherently knew my entire life, but having it work in reality is a completely different thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment